Camp toilet tips

Submitted: Friday, Sep 16, 2022 at 05:16
ThreadID: 144822 Views:13014 Replies:5 FollowUps:20
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,
My family rarely camps. We used to have a caravan (pre kids) which was hardly used...maybe 3 times over 5 years. That was sold before we had the kids too.
We now have 2 young children and are looking to start camping with a tent.
We have a 2 room tent and some self inflatable mattresses.
I am thinking of using a basic camp toilet in the tent solely for night time use.
So how is best to dispose of bags in the morning for both bush and park situations?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Core420 - Friday, Sep 16, 2022 at 07:12

Friday, Sep 16, 2022 at 07:12
We faced the same conundrum and after researching found that most national parks require chemical toilets. Initially we carried both a basic bush toilet and chemical toilet. But soon found that the chemical toilet won the day by far. So we ditched the bush toilet.
It's a lot easier to find a dump point (WikiCamps) than a waste disposal point. Despite sealing waste in a bag and plastic bucket, after a few days it stinks to high heaven. It's also a messy business emptying your bucket into a waste bin, because more often than not you have to lift it to shoulder height to empty it. Compare that with a chemical toilet where the waste is collected in a sealed container filled with lovely smelling chemicals. No smells are emitted at any time. Emptying the container is a breeze, as everything has liquified and easily pours out into the dump point at ground level. At most dump points you'll also find a tap which you can use to rinse the container and prepare it for the next uses. Make sure you use the environmentally friendlier chemicals. Good luck!
AnswerID: 641646

Follow Up By: Member - Cuppa - Friday, Sep 16, 2022 at 09:30

Friday, Sep 16, 2022 at 09:30
In agreement with Core420, but would add that using sodium percarbonate emptying every 3 or 4 days works best. Carry a shovel, deep hole & empty the liquid contents (when no dump point available), well away from any watercourse, & where others camp. Contents soak away after filling the hole in so won’t be dug up by animals. We have used sodium percarbonate (Laundry booster) for years. Works well & is cheap & environmentally safe. Contents are less smelly if used for No 2’s only. Ladies can stoop hands on knees if squatting is too difficult. Return used wee paper to fire or rubbish bag.
See 'My Profile' (below) for link to our Aussie travel blog, now in it's 6th year.

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 920915

Follow Up By: Member - McLaren3030 - Friday, Sep 16, 2022 at 09:43

Friday, Sep 16, 2022 at 09:43
Hi Core420,

No offence intended, but please show me or direct me to a website that states the majority of National Parks require a camper to have a chemical toilet. How do you think hikers get on in National Parks? They certainly do not carry chemical toilets around. This sounds like another “Myth” that gets repeated by albeit well meaning people. Similar to the one that states all caravans require a grey water tank to camp in a National Park. Simply not true.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 920916

Follow Up By: Member - Core420 - Friday, Sep 16, 2022 at 12:50

Friday, Sep 16, 2022 at 12:50
We just returned from the Pilbara. Karajini, Millstream, Cape Range, Ningaloo, Giralia to name a few, all require chemical toilets.
FollowupID: 920926

Follow Up By: Member - McLaren3030 - Friday, Sep 16, 2022 at 16:18

Friday, Sep 16, 2022 at 16:18
Sorry Core420,, but nowhere on those National Park websites does it state you require a chemical toilet. In fact, the majority of the campgrounds actual have pit toilets and ask you not to dump your chemical toilets into them.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 920939

Follow Up By: Member - McLaren3030 - Friday, Sep 16, 2022 at 16:26

Friday, Sep 16, 2022 at 16:26
My apologies Core420, just found the following on their website:

Campgrounds without toilets

Where a campground does not have toilet facilities, campers must bring their own portable cassette chemical toilet.

Where portable cassette chemical toilets are required, campers cannot stay without one. Rangers conduct regular patrols and may ask you to leave the campground if you do not have a suitable portable chemical toilet.

‘Thunder boxes’ or buckets are not suitable as toilets. Toilet chemical bags are not permitted. It must be a sealed unit.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 920940

Follow Up By: Member - Core420 - Friday, Sep 16, 2022 at 16:29

Friday, Sep 16, 2022 at 16:29
From the WA parks and wildlife site:

No toilets provided. Bring and use a portable chemical cassette toilet. Use the dump point or carry waste out of the park for disposal in an authorised dump point.

http://exploreparks.dbca.wa.gov.au/site/south-lefroy-bay-campground.

See also Macca's post below.
FollowupID: 920941

Follow Up By: Member - Murray R (VIC) - Saturday, Sep 17, 2022 at 22:42

Saturday, Sep 17, 2022 at 22:42
The way that Cuppa has surggested is the way to go. , lve been doing it for ages, on smell cheap and eazy disposal. Make sure you use nappy san with 300 gm plus of sodum percarbonate .

Murr ay
Another Mexican

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 920960

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Sunday, Sep 18, 2022 at 08:50

Sunday, Sep 18, 2022 at 08:50
Core420 mentioned Karijini in a follow-up above.

We had 2 nights there in 2018, one night in the overflow section & the 2nd night at Dales Gorge campsite. The long drop at the overflow was, I’d suggest, about average for cleanliness & odour, considering the large numbers it would have to cater for.
There were numerous long drops at Dales, and the one we frequented, about 200m from our camp, was clean and almost odour free. Users were advised to swab out the “funnel” after use, so may have kept smells to a minimum?

And talking of long drops, has anyone had to use the dunnys at the Mt Connor viewing point, on the Lasseter Highway? A definite threat to human health!

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 920962

Reply By: Frank P (NSW) - Friday, Sep 16, 2022 at 11:15

Friday, Sep 16, 2022 at 11:15
A WAG bag may be worth investigating.WAG bag link. There are other sellers that freight to Aus -Link, for example.

The fold up seat pictured on the bag has been discussed here a long time ago, IIRC, or you can devise your own. EDIT: Just found a link: Fold up toilet seat - low enough for kids. There are other simpler and cheaper alternatives such as this.

The stuff in a WAG bag gels human waste and renders it harmless so that the bag and its contents can be disposed of in general garbage.
FrankP

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 641652

Follow Up By: Member - Cuppa - Friday, Sep 16, 2022 at 13:09

Friday, Sep 16, 2022 at 13:09
Must admit to being a tad surprised , but the following is a screenshot from WA Parks web site.

I wonder if that means they have removed the toilet facilities which used to be in all of those campgrounds mentioned by Core420?

Don't think those WAG bags are acceptable over in the west Frank.
See 'My Profile' (below) for link to our Aussie travel blog, now in it's 6th year.

FollowupID: 920927

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Friday, Sep 16, 2022 at 13:34

Friday, Sep 16, 2022 at 13:34
Sigh.... Reading the last line of your screenshot you're probably right, Cuppa.

A bit silly really, as if there is no toilet, there is probably no rubbish collection. The WAG bags convert waste to a harmless, odourless gel or lump which is then sealed and double bagged. It would be as sealed as a cassette that has a removable lid - as all cassettes have. As there is no rubbish collection, you'd carry it out for disposal with other rubbish, just as you'd carry out a full cassette for disposal at a dump point.

I would like to think that those who went to the trouble and expense of obtaining WAG bags would be motivated enough to carry used ones out, but I suppose some animals would leave them behind. Those same animals might also decide to empty their complying cassette behind a tree, so I don't see the logic in not permitting WAG bags.

Oh well, it is what it is.

FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 920930

Follow Up By: Member - Core420 - Friday, Sep 16, 2022 at 14:26

Friday, Sep 16, 2022 at 14:26
We found in the national parks I mentioned above that there's a camp host who verifies your booking and sometimes checks daily what you're up to. So the camp sites are monitored to a certain degree.
FollowupID: 920932

Follow Up By: Briste - Friday, Sep 16, 2022 at 21:02

Friday, Sep 16, 2022 at 21:02
Does a composting toilet qualify?
FollowupID: 920951

Follow Up By: Member - Outback Gazz - Sunday, Sep 18, 2022 at 08:06

Sunday, Sep 18, 2022 at 08:06
Just wondering how the thousands of overseas tourists and local Aussies who travel Australia each year by motorbike go ?

Bit hard trying to carry a chemical toilet on a motorcycle !

Obviously the reasoning must be that it's cheaper to get the tax paying public to purchase and use their own portable toilets than build and maintain public ones !

Happy and safe travels - but not in some National Parks

Cheers
Gazz
FollowupID: 920961

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Sunday, Sep 18, 2022 at 09:24

Sunday, Sep 18, 2022 at 09:24
"Just wondering how the thousands of overseas tourists and local Aussies who travel Australia each year by motorbike go ?

Bit hard trying to carry a chemical toilet on a motorcycle !"

Perfect case for WAG bags!
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 920963

Follow Up By: Member - Outback Gazz - Sunday, Sep 18, 2022 at 10:09

Sunday, Sep 18, 2022 at 10:09
Howdy Frank

Yes - perfect for the travelling motorcyclist !

But after reading the above comments and that Rangers regularly visit and check that campers have a chemical toilet you wonder if the Rangers would allow the WAG bag for motorcyclists ?

In this day and age, knowing how Government departments run, I would guess a "fine" would be issued !

All the best
Gazz
FollowupID: 920964

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Sunday, Sep 18, 2022 at 15:12

Sunday, Sep 18, 2022 at 15:12
I agree, Gazz. It's quite likely that bureaucracy would trump common sense.
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 920971

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Sunday, Sep 18, 2022 at 15:35

Sunday, Sep 18, 2022 at 15:35
I imagine also, that it could be quite difficult to ride a motorbike with one's legs crossed? lol
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 920972

Follow Up By: AlbyNSW - Monday, Sep 19, 2022 at 08:23

Monday, Sep 19, 2022 at 08:23
Side saddle? :)
FollowupID: 920974

Reply By: Member - nickb boab - Friday, Sep 16, 2022 at 20:40

Friday, Sep 16, 2022 at 20:40
Ooo yuk !! Don't miss or spill ..
Out side toilet tent ..
Cheers Nick b

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 641657

Reply By: Member - Jim S1 - Saturday, Sep 17, 2022 at 07:28

Saturday, Sep 17, 2022 at 07:28
Just get a decent sized portable .......... such as

https://www.snowys.com.au/portapotti-qube-365?gclid=Cj0KCQjwvZCZBhCiARIsAPXbajsvX0HBWWJaANvam2y2heGVKecaERPKu-fXvgVPUESpmcKyo0VoMtAaAgy9EALw_wcB

Cheers
Jim
"Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits." A fisherman.

"No road is long with good company." Traditional

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 641659

Reply By: Member - Outback Gazz - Friday, Sep 23, 2022 at 07:06

Friday, Sep 23, 2022 at 07:06
G'day All

Re: Chemical toilets in National Parks.

How do people transport their porta potti's if they don't have a caravan, camper trailer or trailer and just live out of a station wagon eg Patrol or Cruiser wagon ?

Cheers
Gazz
AnswerID: 641708

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Saturday, Sep 24, 2022 at 12:53

Saturday, Sep 24, 2022 at 12:53
It's a bit hard to tell each individual person how to do it. You have to figure it out yourself how to restructure your loading to accommodate one.

So far the eastern states do not have the restrictions of WA.
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 921015

Follow Up By: Member - Outback Gazz - Sunday, Sep 25, 2022 at 08:28

Sunday, Sep 25, 2022 at 08:28
Howdy Peter

Wasn't really looking for a solution for myself just wondering how you would carry one and do they cause any issues inside a vehicle ?

I know a young family who go camping a lot, have two boys and a small station wagon without a roof rack. Their vehicle when heading off doesn't have enough spare room left for an extra teaspoon let alone a chemical toilet lol.

Cheers
Gazz

FollowupID: 921018

Sponsored Links